South Australian Register

10th April 1847 page 2

WESLEYAN METHODISTS.

Adelaide. March 31st. 1847.

Two weeks after the church was opened to the public on December 5th 1847 the Rev. D. J. Draper wrote to the Missionary Committee:

"That there is no place of worship within seventy miles of this which has now been opened: indeed, there has been no population near the spot until within two years."


Kooringa Wesleyan Church
Chapel Street, Burra

The first Wesleyan chapel and schoolroom was built on this site in 1847 and was the first church in Burra.

The church was demolished in 1914.

Burra Record

7th October 1947 page 1

The following is [part of] a brief history of the Kooringa Methodist Church as outlined in the Souvenir published in connection with the Burra Centenary Celebrations.

In the early days there were three non-conformist churches at work in the Burra.

The Wesleyan Church was built in 1847, and according to the account of the late Mrs Sleep, divine service was held before that in the house of Mr Jno. Chapman.