Mt Bryan Wesleyan Church

The township of Mount Bryan took a long time to grow, The church, council Chambers and Hotel were in one area; the Railway Station and School were further to the south. Gradually the centre of activity moved to the Railway area. With quite a large community in this central area, a new congregation was formed, first with Sunday School meetings in the Hall and then with church services. Before long it was decided to build a new church in the town.

Land was given for the new church by Mr Jack Smelt, and wood and iron building lined with asbestos was opened in 1913. There was some opposition to the new church - known by some as the "Cook house" - as many of the "Old Church" congregation had much further to travel to church than the townspeople. The numbers at that time were sufficient to keep the two congregations, and each had a large Sunday School and Choir.

For 20 years the two churches continued as separate congregations, meeting together for the annual Sunday School Picnic and Circuit functions. Through the depression numbers and finances fell and amalgamation was suggested. In 1936, the Centenary year a proposal was put to the town church trustees to build a church as a Centenary effort and the proposal was carried unanimously. The architect for the project was M. Golding, and the builder, F.M. Pearce.

The Foundation Stone for the new church was laid on January 23rd, 1937 by Rev. W. O. Robinson, and the church was opened on May 29th, 1937.

More information about the history of the church is available in the booklet, "The Mount Bryan Township Uniting Church".

The church had it's final service on the 3rd April, 2005 and the furniture from it was subsequently advertised for sale in the local paper.