Hanson Wesleyan Church

Trustees at the porch opening, 6th April 1904

Opening of the church on December 20, 1903

This town lies 13km south-west of Burra and was surveyed in September 1865 when it was names Davies. The town was generally referred to as Daviestown, Davieston, or Davies Town. It was decided about 1890, notwithstanding the much later official date of 19 September 1940, that it would be called Hanson. There is a confusing period from about then to about 1901 when both names occur. It would not have been nearly such a mess had the name Hanson not at the time been applied to what is now Farrell Flat.

Some history of the church, as detailed in the Burra Record:

1 Oct. 1902, page 3

Hanson Methodist Church.

After worshipping in the Council Chamber for many years Methodists in Hanson have formed a trust to prepare for the building of a church on two allotments of land at the corner of West and South Terraces. Two-thirds of the outlay is to be secured in cash, promised subscriptions, or labour and materials before tenders are let.

21 Oct. 1903, page 3

Wesley Bicentenary Church Hanson, Wednesday 14 October.

Bad weather kept some away, but there was still a good crowd at 3 p.m. when Rev. H.J. Pope, President of Conference preached a sermon in the State Schoolroom. The memorial stone service was preached by Rev. W.F. James. Mr Jesse Humphrys laid the first stone. The President then laid the Wesley bicentenary stone. For over two hours the tea tables in the council chamber were crowded.

Historic sketch by Rev. W.F. James.

Services at Hanson began nearly 25 years ago in the house of the late Mr Rogers and were continued in the Council Chamber. In 1880 Hanson, Farrell’s Flat, Stony Gap and Black Springs comprised a Home Mission. After 9 years of struggle even a liberal Home Mission grant couldn’t support the Mission and in March 1888 Farrell’s Flat was joined to the Mintaro Circuit and Hanson and Stony Gap to the Burra Circuit. When that divided they became part of the Redruth Circuit. An organ was purchased two years ago. Some 15 years ago Mr J. Lane gave £20 to the Wesley Jubilee Fund towards new churches at World’s End and Hanson. The former got built, but the latter was not realised even with a three year extension and the £10 went to other uses. Three years ago fund raising started for the present effort. It was begun with £20 from Jesse Humphrys. Two acres of land at the corner of South and West Terraces were obtained and since then £150 has been raised towards the building.

Over £40 was laid on the stones at the ceremonies including a donation from the Federal Speaker, Sir Frederick Holder. The tea and collections raised £10. This means there is £200 raised of the estimated £250 needed to open the church free of debt.

[Considerably more detail of the people involved in the history of this church is given in the article.]

16 Dec. 1903, page 2

The Hanson Methodist Church will be opened on 20 December. The total cost will be upwards of £260 and over £210 has been received with £20 promised towards the balance of £30. [The figures cited suggest this should say ‘leaving a balance of £30’.]

XV, 620, 6 Apr. 1904, page 3

Hanson Methodist Church

Rev. W.F. James opened the porch of the Hanson church on 27 March and then preached his farewell sermon. The congregations over Easter were large with over 100 going from Burra to the tea meeting on Good Friday, to bring the total to c. 300. The new fence was also much admired. The total cost of the church, porch etc. has now reached £315-16-0 and up to the 23 March £294-4-1 has been received. Subscriptions, tea-money, and collections have since raised £23-11-5, leaving £1-19-6 in hand. Rev. W.F. James was presented with a Morocco bound address with two photographs of the church and its office bearers.