In 1899 the parish of Burra was transferred to the secular clergy of the Diocese of Port Augusta. The handover must have been a big event as it was well documented. Fr. William Doyle was the first secular priest, arriving October 22nd 1899.

The convent and school at the rear were closed in 1970.

Parish Limits

The extent of the Burra parish seems to have varied during the late 1800s and early 1900s. In 1900-1901 and even as late as 1909 the priest at Kooringa served St. Columba's, the missionary chapel at Renmark. Although in 1909, Booborowie belonged to the Archdiocese of Adelaide, it was served from Burra by the Diocese of Port Augusta until it became part of the Spalding parish.

Farrell's Flat, Leiton (spelt that way in early writings) World's End, Emu Downs and towns along the North East line are mentioned as served from Burra at varying times.