Original St Joseph's Chapel and School in Commercial St, Kooringa, with old convent at rear

At the beginning of 1857 a house was bought in Commercial Street and blessed for use as a Church-School in February. A building was erected near it where the priest could stay on his visits. A lay teacher, Mr. Fogg, conducted the Catholic school until the 1870s when the Sisters of St. Joseph took over.

The little chapel soon proved insufficient for the number of Catholics and when a building site was presented to the Church by the South Australian Mining Association, the Catholics sprang into action to build their own Church. The decision to build a new church was formally made at a meeting held at the School-Chapel on 11th December, 1870.