Church of the Ascension, Black Springs

Reference Burra Library LHBLA 1 LU 00001


Through the influence of Mr Hawkes of Koonoona the District Council of Waterloo sold it to The Incorporated Society for the Propogation of the Gospel of Foreign Parts (of Westminster, England). Consequently on 22 Sept. 1898 it was dedicated as the (Anglican) Church of the Ascension. Services were held fortnightly at 3pm on Sunday with Holy Communion every fifth Sunday. Sunday School met fortnightly. It was part of the Parish of Burra.

The font was made by H. Bruse in 1856 and was presented by St. Mary’s Burra. [which suggests it is from the original St. Mary’s?]

1903 & 4 a new altar was erected.

Note however, that John Davenport in “St Mary’s Church Burra- The first 150 Years” says that the Black Springs Church was opened on 19 May 1895 when 80 people attended and one was baptised [The apparent discrepancy may depend on the word ‘dedicated’. Possibly a dedication service came some time after the opening] Ownership was later transferred to the Leigh Trust of the Diocese of Adelaide. The building was renovated in the 1950’s. Anglican use finished in 1962.

This church was three different denominations, finally becoming the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church:-

Wesleyan from 1869 -1897

Anglican Church of Ascension from 1898 -1962

Trinity Lutheran from 1963

For information on the history of this church before it became an Anglican Church, please refer to Black Springs Wesleyan Church and for information regarding this church once it became a Lutheran Church, please refer to Black Springs Trinity Lutheran Church, 1963.