A proposal to build another church at Redruth was made to meet the needs of the people there and at Aberdeen. These two localities now form what is known as Burra North. The work was actually begun and the foundations of the new Church of St. Luke standing in a triangular block of land are still to be seen on the way to the old reformatory. However, a general desire to have a larger and more central place of worship resulted in the erection of the present building in 1879.

The original Church of St Mary on the hill was demolished and a few treasured possessions were transferred to the new building, namely, the Altar Table, two stained glass windows and the iron cross which surmounted the west end of the old church. The construction of St Luke's Church was abandoned.

Built in 1879, the new building, under the supervision of Mr G.F. McCleggan of Melbourne as architect was erected at a cost of £4,000, the whole amount being subscribed by the parish. It was built by the Burra firm of Sara and Dunstan.

The church is rich in memorials commemorating the names of long established and well known families.

The church includes stained glass windows made by Edwards Brooks, South Australia's first stained glass maker, in 1873. The East window of five lights and the West window of seven lights are particularly fine while the other ten single-light windows in transcepts and Nave are no less deserving of merit.

The Parish Hall was built by parishioners to satisfy Sunday School requirements and other Church activities.

A kitchen was added in 1923.

South Australian Advertiser

12th July 1879 Page 10

For the last few years the members and congregation of the Church of England at the Burra have been working earnestly for the purpose of erecting a building for divine service, as the school-room hitherto used far that purpose had become very dilapidated, and was also badly situated.

ST. MARY'S CHURCH, BURRA.

The movement so earnestly begun has at length resulted in the commencement of a building which the promoters trust will answer these requirements. It is situated between Kooringa, Redruth, and Aberdeen, and is within easy access of these townships. It is designed in the early English style, and will be a handsome building.

The nave will be 60 feet long by 40 feet wide, the chancel will be 21 feet by 18 feet, and there will also be octagonal transepts, and an organ chamber and a vestry. The height of the walls will be 23 feet, with a clear 38 feet to the centre of the roof. One large arch with two smaller ones will divide the nave from the chancel, and in the latter will be two side arches separating the organ chamber on the one side and the entrance on the other. There will be a slight slope in the floor of the nave towards the chancel.There will be sittings for 350 people, and the total cost, in cluding everything, will be about £3,000.

The ground (one acre) was given by the South Australian Mining Association. The walls of the church are already a considerable height, and the masonry is of the most solid description. The architect is Mr. Wm McLagan, and the con tractors Messrs. Sara & Dunstan.

The Lord Bishop of Adelaide (the Rev. Dr. Short) very kindly consented to lay the memorial-stone, and it was arranged that the ceremony should take place on July 3. The services in connection therewith began on Wednesday evening, July 8. Prayers were read by the Rev. Hartley Williams, the Rev. F. T. Whitington read the Lessons, and the sermon was preached by the Rev. C. O. Elcum.

On Thursday morning there was a choral celebration of the Holy Communion at 8 o'clock, and at 11, Matins, Litany, and sermon. Prayers were read hy the Rev. H. Howitt; the Ven. Archdeacon Maryat and the Rev. Canon Coombs read the Lessons, the Rev. C. C. Elcum sang the litany, and the Bishop preached an eloquent and suitable sermon. The musical part of the various services was con ducted by Mr. A. Boult, Cathedral organist.

The memorial-stone was laid at half-past 3 o'clock, and was inscribed —"To the Glory of God. July 3, ad. MDCCCLXXIX."

The Bishop and clergy met at the house of Mr. F B. White, lay reader, and preceded by the choir singing a processional hymn, walked to the site of the Church, when the service provided for sach occasions was read by the Bishop. Dr. W. Peel Nesbitt (Mayor of Burra) presented His Lordship with a handsome silver trowel on behalf of the congregation, with which he laid the stone. The Bishop and the Incumbent delivered suit able addresses, and the ceremony was concluded by the choir singing the " Church's One Founda tion, " during which an offertory was made and contributions laid on the stone amounting alto gether to £37 10s.

After the ceremony, the people adjourned to the Burra Institute, where a tea was provided. At half-past 6 o'clock there was a choral evensong, when the Rev. C. O. Elcum officiated. The Lessons were read by the Revs. S. Green and F. T. Whitington. At this service there was a very large congregation, the church being nearly full.

A concert was held in the evening in the Institute Hall, and again the people showed their hearty sympathy with the object by assembling in great numbers. The front seats were all full, and extra seats had to be brought into requisition. The proceedings commenced with an overture on the piano by Misses Nesbitt and Dawson, and consisted of songs, duets, aud choruses, in which the Misses Cave and Loutit, and Miss Dawson took part, assisted by Misss. Cave, Loutit, Newman, Webb, Yeomans, and the Rev. Mr. Elcam. The Rev. S. Green gave two humorous readings, and Mr. Boult a selection on the piano. The concert passed off very successfully.

The whole of the day's proceedings were marked by the most perfect goodwill and kindly feeling. The mem bers of other denominations rendered most valuable assistance in various ways, and their practical sympathy was heartily appreciated. The offertories and the proceeds of the tea and concert amounted to £75.