The first Anglican services ever to be held in Burra were conducted in a stone building situated in Kangaroo Street.  First services were held in 1849.

The first Church of St. Mary was erected, after a short period, on a site donated by the Burra Copper Mining Company on the south west corner of Church and Ware Streets, not far distant from the stone building in which the first services were held.