Burra Buildings Timeline

Windows

Press Ctrl+F to bring up the Find bar at the bottom of the screen.
Type the name you are looking for.

Safari

Press Command + F to bring up the Find bar at the top right corner of the screen.
Type the name you are looking for.

1845

Town site chosen in October, first streets laid out and sites for 12 cottages marked in Thames Street.

S. Stocks jun. and G.S. Kingston lay out 65 allotments of ½ acre in Kooringa with 3 blocks of 2½ acres for company cottages. First cottages ready to roof by April.

1846

First police arrive in September; station and stables built.

Burra Hotel (1st) built: with adjoining brewery.

Mr and Mrs Jolly open 1st school on allotment 73 Commercial Street.

1847

First church built: Kooringa Wesleyan Chapel

Paxton Square begun

Creek dwellings extend along several miles of creek and house 400-500

Miners Arms Hotel

1849

Original Bible Christian Chapel opened in December

St Mary's on Limestone Hill built

Smelter's Home Hotel opens

Kooringa Wesleyan Chapel enlarged to seat 450

Burra Oddfellows Lodge (MU) established

1850

Congregation Church opened by Rev. T.Q. Stow

Baptists granted allotment 295 Kooringa

Original Bridge Street Bridge erected

Kooringa Primitive Methodist Church erected

Sod Hut Inn opens

1851

Fist Redruth Wesleyan Chapel erected

1852

White Hart Hotel begins

1854

Pig and Whistle Hotel and Cross Roads Inn Hotel open

1855

Bushman's Home Hotel

1856

Redruth Gaol completed

Redruth Primitive Methodist Zion Chapel built

1857

Redruth Court House erected

First Catholic school and chapel on allotment 41 Kooringa

Burra Burra Miner's and Mechanics Institute opened

1858

Court House Hotel opens

1859

Second Bible Christian Chapel built

Telegraph and Post Office built

National Bank opens in April

1860

Telegraph office opens

Original Redruth Bridge built

1861

National Bank building completed

1864

Burra Grammar School opens on site of Congregational/Presbyterian Church

1865

Princess Royal Homestead built. Designed by Edmund Wright

1873

Samuel Drew & Co. build wholesale store at Aberdeen saleyards.

1874

Building boom sees erection of:

Town Hall

Roach's Flour Mill in Graham

Butterworth's Flour Mill in New Aberdeen

Redruth Wesleyan Church

Aberdeen branch of Bank of Australasia

Bon Accord Hotel

St Joseph's Church

Kooringa Police Station

Tiver's Store Aberdeen

New buildings - Bon Accord Hotel, St.Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Redruth Wesleyan Church, Flour Mills (Roach. Butterworth), The Institute

1876

Commercial Hotel completed.

1877

Burra Hospital opened and Foundation Stone of Burra Model (Primary) School laid on same day.

1879

Redruth Bridge and Kooringa Bridge (also known as Commercial Street Bridge, Kingston Street Bridge, Black Bridge and Red Bridge) open for traffic.

St. Mary's Church of England completed.

1880

Present Royal Exchange Hotel replaces one destroyed by fire (Aberdeen).

1881

Public pump and trough in Market Square in use.

1882

St. Mary's Convent School at Mt. Pleasant occupied.

1883

Present Burra Railway Station built.

1885

Salvation Army Citadel built.

1881

Fountain erected in Jubilee Walk.

1889

Swing bridge erected over Burra Creek for school children.

1890

Tenders called for two storey building in Market Square for Elder, Smith & Co.

1891

Bagot, Shakes and Lewis build new sale yards.

1909

Old Wooden railway bridge at Aberdeen replaced by iron bridge.

1910

McBride cottages opened.

1911

King's Memorial (Edward VII) Rotunda opened in Market Square.

New Oddfellows Lodge Hall in Aberdeen

1912

Second storey added to Burra Hotel (previously Miners' Arms).

1913

Burra High School opened in west wing of Primary School - 30 scholars enrolled.

1914

Kooringa Methodist Church replaces older one.

1920

Hon. W.M. Hughes,Prime Minister of Australia, unveils Burra and District Fallen Soldiers' Memorial in Market Square.

Fire brigade station completed.

Institute (Town Hall) enlarged by addition of gallery and other changes.

1920

Redruth Methodist Memorial Sunday School completed.

1928

November Butterworth's old mill New Aberdeen becomes Shell Depot.

1928

August Vacuum Oil Depot being built at the Bon Accord Corner

1941

Roach's flour mill at Aberdeen demolished

1957

Old suspension bridge replaced by present footbridge.

1960

New Post Office opened in Market Square.

Swimming pool opened by G. Stanley Hawker.

1969

Opening of Burra Ambulance centre and EFS 1st June

1973

Official opening of Baker of Baldina Aged Cottage Homes 27th May

1978

April - Opening of new school buildings

Sept - Opening of library at Burra School

1980

May 30th - Opening of New District Council Offices & Civic Centre

1982

Oct 31st - Burra Community Sports Complex officially opened

1986

Opening of new Dalgety Bennett Farmers premises

5th October, Opening of reconstructed Morphett's Engine House.

1989

Paxton Square restoration completed.

Unicorn Brewery cellars re-opened as tourist attraction.

1991

Burra Motor Inn opened

1994

Community swimming pool completed.

Opening of Goyder House boarding house for isolated students.

1996

Official opening of the Burra Art Gallery held on 5th October, 1996.